Thursday 21 February 2008

Windows Registry

Windows Registry is the heart and soul of all Windows Operating System. It contains information that needed by the operating system itself and installed programs. Most todays applications store their information in the registry. When you install an application, a new registry entries will be created. These entries will automatically be deleted when you uninstall the application. Unfortunately, it does not always work that way. Sometimes, you will find that some applications fail to remove their own registry entries. These entries will become obsolete.

Just imagine if this happens regularly, how many obsolete entries are in registry will be. One approach to solve this problem is by using an application that can delete the obsolete entries such as windows registry cleaner. One of the application I know is Tweaknow RegCleaner Standard from Tweaknow.com. The application was made by one of my friend in college. It's free and the features it has I think quite enough to clean our registry. But unfortunately, it is missing one feature that I think as a mandatory, that is registry defragmenter. But don't worry, I found another free application to do this.

Why registry defragmenter is so important? As the growing of the registry, the files that store registry become larger and larger. Because the Windows itself does not remove the entries directly but it just marked as deleted. So by time registry becomes big and big. This is the link that you can download.

In the next posting I'll explain how those application really work. Who knows you could make ones. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

how about recover the windows registry? I mean if we got crashed windows?

Anonymous said...

I like regcleaner.
Any better choice?

I used to use it before. But I haven't got it installed in my computer at the moment.

Ngurah.Wirawan said...

hi Anonymous, don't forget to backup your system regularly to avoid the thing that happened to you. Actually backup system, the registry backup is included.

hi dania, I think I've explained it before in my article, you can download it and have a try. Or you can mix regcleaner and registry defragmenter.